S.A.F.E. Focus ®
Self-injury is a choice.
There is only pain, not relief, in self-injury. Self-injury negatively affects all portions of a person’s life-physical, mental, emotional and social. There is no compromise with self-injury. The goal of treatment is complete abstinence.
To view the current list of S.A.F.E. Focus® groups, click here.
Would you like to start a self help group for Self Injury?
S.A.F.E. Focus® is a voluntary support group which utilizes guidelines developed by the S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Program. This support group focuses on identifying, verbalizing, and tolerating feelings, rather than on underlying issues. As participants begin to engage in this work, they may recognize similar, if not identical, behaviors in fellow group members. Such recognition may be uncomfortable, yet it is highly beneficial because awareness is the first step towards recovery. Additional emphasis is placed on group interaction by using verbal communication and developing interpersonal skills. Participants will learn to take in and give constructive feedback. The importance of healthy risk-taking will be stressed in order to provide the participant with an opportunity to develop new coping skills in place of self-injury.
S.A.F.E. Focus® strongly recommends that each group member be simultaneously engaged in individual therapy for the duration of the group sessions. S.A.F.E. Focus® is not a replacement for “one on one” psychotherapy, it is a support group. For more information on finding a therapist visit our referral information.
The purpose of S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® S.A.F.E. Focus® is to provide a structured group for those who self injure and desire to change that behavior. Exercises and assignments, focusing on basic principles of the S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® philosophy, will help participants identify and express their feelings appropriately and to decrease or eliminate the impulses to self injure. This program meets weekly for 12 weeks, 2 hours per week (participants may attend additional 12 week sessions with approval from the group facilitator).
S.A.F.E. Focus® – a S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Program
S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Philosophy:
- There is only pain, not relief, with self-injury. Self-injury negatively affects all aspects of a person’s life: physical, mental, emotional and social.
- There is no compromise with self-injury. The goal is complete abstinence.
- Self-injury is a choice, and therefore each person is capable of making different and better choices.
- Because injuring is a choice…only the one who injures can keep themselves safe.
S.A.F.E. Focus® Group Goals:
- To increase the awareness of destructive behaviors
- To increase the awareness of the consequences of destructive behaviors
- To increase the awareness of feelings
- To learn to identify feelings
- To learn to tolerate feelings
- To learn constructive techniques to verbalize and process feelings
- To apply these constructive coping techniques to daily living
For more information on facilitating S.A.F.E. Focus® or becoming a group participant visit our admission information. To purchase Leader and Participant Manuals please visit our store.